Friday, February 15, 2008

Our Little Talker

Mia is quite the talker these days! She says her words pretty clear for a 16 month old too! Her favorites are ball, more, kitty, mama, dada, "it's you" (when she see's a picture of herself), baby, grama, grampa, eat, spoon, stars, light, quack-quack, 'ibbit (when she sees a frog), Santa (followed with an immediate "hohoho!"), hello (yes- not just "hi"), happy, bread, banana, apple, etc. She can also say some of her relatives' names: Lauri (go figure), Big B and she calls her little cousin Ryker- "Cracker" and then she does the sign for it too- haha! She's hilarious! We are realizing that we have to start watching what words we use since she is starting to mimic us!



When I was pregnant I had heard a lot of fuss over babies and signing and was definitely skeptical, but I could also see the benefits of trying it. So when Mia was 7 months I bought 2 "Signing Time Videos" and would watch them with her occassionally (so I could learn the signs too). We love them! She started really doing the signs at 10+ months and it has helped us communicate with her. Most of the words she knows so well are the ones we sign with her. So if you are looking into signing with your baby, I recommend "Signing Time"!

3 comments:

Janee said...

I just can't get over how cute Mia is! Dan and I started teaching Maya some signs this month - I'll have to definitely check out those videos...

THE JIMMY HARRY FAMILY said...

Mia is such a big girl. I loved teaching my boys how to sign. Even my 4 year old still signs. It's so much fun.

Lindsey said...

I too love signing time! Jenna loves to sign as well! The signing also helped a lot with adding to her vocabulary! Right now there are new signing time videos Sunday mornings on PBS, we have been recording them! :)
How cute is Mia!! We need to get together sometime, it has been too long!