Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Normal Life Appreciated

Last week our little family had a major health scare that really made us step back and evaluate the important things in our lives. The stresses I had earlier that day were normal (toddler stuff, tired from being pregnant, moving details, etc.). In just seconds all of that was obsolete. We waited 48 hours in agony, over "what if's", "now what's" and "how could this be", for test results to come back. I waited in the Dr.'s office watching other people and felt jealous of (what I assumed was) their normal lives/health. After (what felt like months of waiting) we found out everything was OK and I was a very small statistic that causes a test error.

It took a few hours for everything to settle in and to know that we were all going to be ok. I have never been more grateful for my health and mild little life. I've also never felt more empathy for people that find out life changing news about their health. I guess you get so comfortable in your own skin, that is is very easy to think "that won't happen to me" about a lot of things. I know my details are vague, but I just want to express my gratitude to friends and family and the love and support that they give us. This small trial renewed our faith in our relationship with one another, our family and prayer.

I don't get as easily frustrated by the little things and I hope I keep this feeling for a long time. Thank you for your friendship.

4 comments:

Janee said...

I hope everything is ok - you guys will be in our prayers...

Maegan said...

Scary stuff. Glad you guys are okay! It's surprising how fast something can happen to make you appreciate everything you have!

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is okay! Keep up the good spirits and know we are thinking of you as you are getting ready to move and going through this pregnancy.

Heidi said...

I'm sorry, Lisa, I had no idea!

(Somehow, I thought I was subscribed to your blog in my reader and was surprised that you hadn't posted anything for so long--but I just now realized I WASN'T subscribed so I've missed all this stuff. I'm sorry!)